Monday, June 27, 2011

Sunday June 26

Sunny and 70 at game time, a beautiful day for soccer. Willy and Jeff are our guests today, Steve in blue net, Keith in white. Bobby is wearing his white shirt for the third time ever. Maybe 25 guys total.

Will starts it for blue 1-0
Jeff for white 1-1 beautiful header off a corner kick
Jeff again 1-2
Jeff again 1-3 (the new Keeble?)
Keebs for white 1-4 (the old Keeble)
Jay for blue 2-4
Tom for white 2-5 (the old new Keeble)
Scott Shamu with an own goal against blue, nicely headed in. We'll give it to Keeble 2-6
Tom again 2-7
Jordan for blue 3-7
Jeff again 2-8
Mike the wizard for white 3-9 to end it.

The story about Wednesday nights is that we would have to pay for lights, $25 per hour. Which is not a big deal, but we have had trouble getting enough players to make it worthwhile in the past. Last year we had full teams only when the high school kids showed up. Keith is going to look into Wednesday nights at the dome. I like the idea of playing on the turf from 6 till 8 on Wednesdays, but I would need at least 17 others to agree.

Next week is the Fourth of July holiday, and Monday is a day off for most of us. Two days in a row is tough for us old guys, but prepare yourselves for an extra game.

Player of the Week

(I apologize to Vince because I couldn't get his links to copy correctly. You can cut and paste them to your browser.)



A day on the pitch

Vince Jannelli

The details of my life or where I’ve played or what I’ve won & lost are of no consequence. The simple fact is that what matters is that any day on the pitch is a good day.

I will say that I grew up in a household ruled by parents who witnessed depression era poverty and/or world war displacement first hand. Nothing was taken for granted, and nothing was granted; all had to be earned, teamwork was expected, and slackers weren’t tolerated.

I still live by these simple rules and by extension bring them to the pitch. While not the most talented, nor the most fit, nor the hardest worker on the pitch, I do try to give all that I have to give on that day. I would have it no other way.

My dad was a passionate soccer fan, and I caught the bug early on. My two earliest soccer memories are of kicking the ball with him and being heart broken at watching a rerun of Italy ’s ‘70 2nd place finish. I do get some consolation from the famous semi-final vs West Germany though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob44uLGq4-k. It is from that moment that I bleed Azzuro! They will forever be my team, whether Champs or chumps.

Luckily, over the years there have given me much to cheer, with moments of pure magic, like Bettega’s goal in ’78 against Argentina off of a triangle play with Rossi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9wd7u0Ntes). The same Rossi four years later scored all of Italy’s goals in their 3-2 win over Brazil, springing them on a run that lead to the ’82 title (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTfPOzUc1JI). The magic even graced Giants stadium, where I was fortunate to witness Baggio’s two moments of genius that unexpectedly brought Italy into the ’94 final (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FR1aRqHWb4 nadn). And most recently the 2-0 win over Germany that put them in ’06 final, and a fourth title. All who watched the game in the Azzurri’s native tongue will forever remember the announcer’s call… “Beppe andiamo a Berlino! Andiamo a Berlino! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-nSGO48a8U)

I realize not everyone has the same team, but we all have memories from our teams that we share with those who will listen. I know this from having traveled and moved around for much of my life, first from continent to continent and more recently from state to state, no matter where I’ve lived I have always found fellow soccer players.

The thing about soccer is that it takes another 21 like-minded individuals to get a true game on, so it really doesn’t matter where they come from, as long as they play. I’ve played with (and against) teams and players from across the globe. I might not have always spoken their language, or played their style game…but in the end, we were always able to break through our difference because of our common bond in the game. … To this day, some I still have the honor to call friends. That is why it is the beautiful game.

Over the years I’ve learned a lot on the field, nothing like sport to keep us honest and teach humility, again and again. And this still holds true today, I am reminded of it every time I play. Now that I’ve settled in north jersey, I’ve had the good fortune to be associated with the group of players that form the Waldwick Soccer Seniors for about a decade. I try to play as often as possible, which always seems not often enough. I can’t make every game, and as the year’s progress, it takes me longer and longer to “warm up”. I often wonder if the ankle tape and warm up time is really a signal that its time to move on.

Yet I find myself drawn back to the pitch time and time again, the camaraderie, the exercise…that one pass or shot or block…whatever the reason, for an hour or two I am able to set aside life’s daily stresses and relive some of the simple joys I knew in my youth…as I learned so many years ago, any day on the pitch is a good day!

Here’s to many more good days, for all of us ;-)

No comments: