Monday, June 13, 2011

Sunday June 12

After a brutally hot week, its cool and cloudy at game time. Will & Jeff are our guests today, Steve in the blue net, Mark Schwartz in for white until Dr. Zzzs Doug arrived. With no Bobby and Keith wearing his white shirt, the blue defense left a little to be desired. We had about 25 guys at the peak.

Scoring:

C for white 1-0
Vince for blue 1-1
Shamu for white 2-1
Joe Bagels for white 3-1
Shamu for white 4-1
Keebs for blue 4-2
Tom for white 5-2
Joe 6-2
Mario 7-2
C for white 8-2


Player of the Week




"Bucky" Charles Joaquin, referred to as Carlos Joaquin by the old soccer guys or "the Buckster". Born Dec 26, 1960 in good old Valley Hospital, I'm a born and bred Waldwickian...lived my entire 50 years in Walwick except for a short stint in Hawthorne in the early years of marriage. Hunting was my dad's passion and I became an avid bow hunter and fisherman at a young age spending many days together with him and my two brothers, Tommy (RIP) and Todd, in the woods and on the water. Practically born on a motorcycle I spent most of my time racing motocross and still to this day love to ride my Harley. My childhood sweetheart, Clare, whom I married in 1983 shared this same passion and rides her own HD along side of me...we enjoy traveling the countryside, sometimes with other friends, like the Hock or just by ourselves. At one time I owned a special addition firefighter bike because I joined the Waldwick Fire Dept when I got married as a volunteer and kept busy with this wonderful organization.

I was the guy who opted for football, soccer was for sissies...didn't know that I'd become not only one to play it but coach it as well. All three of my kids, Lena 24, Megan 21 and Kyle 19 played rec and my son, club with the Americans...this is where my coaching started thanks to Adam Steiger. My soccer career started by a nudge from Robert Hall, who asked me to join a bunch of guys who were meeting at Trap...thankfully I took him up on his offer and we expanded into playing against, and then with, the Upper Saddle River guys...then we moved into league play and indoor play. We even ventured into ice hockey for a while. Except for a few health issues over the years, like back and ankle injuries, that interrupted some of my playing time I've really enjoyed the past 21 years and look forward to the next 21. I know I've developed the reputation as having a bit of a temper, but soccer inspired a passion in me I didn't know I had. Sometimes it showed up on the field but one of you always helped me leave it there.
January marks my 30 year anniversary working for the Boro of Waldwick, soccer on Sunday's gives me something to look forward to on my weekends. Thanks to you guys who've been my buddies on and off the field and I am proud to be one of the originals, as well as one of the current group of players....Bobby and Frank, you inspire us "younger" guys to keep on playing!

P.S. Go Real Madrid!!

No comments: