Monday, April 4, 2011

Sunday April 4

Cool and breezy, but sunny at our 7:30 AM game time. We started with 8 v 8, last man back, but it didn't take too long to get up to full sides. Doug in the white net, Steve in for blue, no guests. Keebs started the scoring with a nice header, then it went like this:

Keeb for white 1-0
Shamu for blue 1-1
Dimos for blue 1-2
Rocculous!!!! for blue 1-3
Joe Bagels for white 2-3
Keebs again 3-3
Jay for blue 3-4
Jay again 3-5
Rocc!!!! Again!!!!! 3-6
Chop-man for blue 3-7
Keebs again 3-7

Kennington and Dom left early so Mo switched to the blue side to keep things even. Keith handled the white defense by himself. Keebs got his hat trick, but missed so many shots he should have had a hat trick of hat tricks. With just 22 players on the field, everybody got a lot of touches and plenty of playing time by the time we were kicked off by a bunch of kids. There was some discussion of returning to our summer starting time next week, so keep an eye on your E's.


Player of the Week:
Scott Perkins

To many of you I am known simply as Shamu. It is the most recognizable Waldwick Senior Soccer nickname. That name was bestowed upon me with Yoda-like genius by Mark Schwartz who is still struggling to accept his nickname, “General Sarcastro.” My nick name is derived not by my size nor weight but rather by the height with which I can jump to head the ball. Think of Shamu the whale shooting out of the water to great heights to grab a fish. This also explains Mark Miller’s comment of “hold the fish higher, when I miss a header due to the height of the ball.

I almost didn’t play soccer as a kid. My mother brought me to the Ho-Ho-Kus-Saddle River football practice at the age of 10. (American Football) I lasted one practice. I thought it was insane to run plays all night long without ever touching the ball. The next week I was playing soccer for the Ho-Ho-Kus Saddle River Blackhawks as a fullback. We played in the 5-3-2 formation and it was just me and another kid holding up the defense. After watching the goal celebrations from afar for a few seasons I moved to center forward. I attended the Giorgio Chinaglia Soccer Academy during the height of Cosmos fever at Giants Stadium. I won the MVP award for the time I attended.

In High School I played for Ramsey High. I continued playing for Ho-Ho-Kus Saddle River on the weekends. So, during the week I played for Ramsey and against such teams that included my weekend teammates at Ho-Ho-Kus-Midland Park and vice-versa on the weekends. In my senior year at Ramsey High I was voted second team all-league. It wasn’t All-American like from friend Jeff Durgan of Cosmos fame but at least it was an acknowledgement of my limited abilities.

After Ramsey High school, I went to Babson College but I did not play soccer. All because of a woman. That was one of the worst decisions of my life. In 1994, eight years after graduating from college I vowed never to let anyone get between me and my beloved game of soccer ever again. I joined a team in Teaneck and played a few seasons until the team disbanded. Well, that vow was short lived but not forgotten.

I then spent a few years playing touch football feeling out of my element. And then one fateful day when someone I work with (Mark Miller’s neighbor) mentioned that there is a game at Traphagen in Waldwick. I walked on the field not knowing anyone. I quickly realized that Keebo was striker and did not move from the mouth of the goal. So, I played stopper at first. It took me a few seasons to move up to the front line. Keebo dubbed me “threat from corners” from my time playing right wing. That name didn’t stick. Eventually I made it home to center forward once again in 2011.

I work as a commercial real estate broker for NAI James E. Hanson in Hackensack. And, I am an avid wine lover. However, it is hard to beat playing soccer on Sunday morning with my friends at WSS!

Shamu



No comments: