Monday, April 18, 2011

Sunday April 17

50 degrees, partly cloudy and breezy at 7:30 AM game time. We started with 9 v. 10, Steve in the blue net, Keith in for white. Keebs got things started missing at least four easy goal line tap ins. Mike the soccer wizard missed an open netter at the other end, blasting the ball clear over the net. Doug showed up to take over for Keith. Joe Bagles, Kennington and Tim came late to get us up to full sides.

Game summary:
Tom for white 1-0
C for white 2-0
Dom for white 3-0
Mike for blue 3-1 (finally remembered how it's done)
" " " 3-2
" " " 3-3, but then he left the game
Dom again 4-3
Jimmy for blue 4-4
C again 5-4 with a nice chop
Jim again 5-5
Dave for blue 5-6

Keith got the offsides trap going, so a bunch of blue scores were called back. We finished up about 9:45 due to exhaustion, no sign of kids' games. Next week is the annual Easter Sunday Jews vs. pagans game, probably at 8.

Player of the Week:
Jay


Here's a guy that probably every member of the team has exchanged harsh words with. He's one of the originals with an orange uniform to prove it.

Are you kidding me “Player of the Week” at age 57??? I can barely get out of bed on Sundays trying to recuperate from the week before! J

I must share that I love this game of soccer/football & I wouldn’t miss it for the world!

I was fortunate to be raised by my grandparents who played an important role in my life. My “nono” introduced me this “beautiful game” as the great Pele would say & of course through his efforts I also developed a passion for bocci & making home made wine. As a young kid I idolized Brazilian soccer genius Pele, Sandro Mazzola of Inter, Bobby Charlton & George Best of Manchester United. Even today after four decades I consider them WORLD’s best ever!

Growing up in Hoboken is where my soccer career began. I played varsity soccer during my freshman year. We had so much talent on my team. We were county champs three (3) years in a row. I remember receiving several all county & all state recognitions. During my sophomore and senior high school year I played on all state teams.

My college soccer career was at ACC. I played league soccer with Hudson Dalmatians in the German/American league.

In l980, my wife & I planned a family so we settled in Washington Township. As most of you, I had spent considerable time volunteering/coaching/officiating our children’s games. In addition, I coached a varsity soccer team in Bergenfield under the leadership of G. Fatovich.

It was a beautiful ride because we all contributed towards the development of soccer across this great country.

I remembered watching the Cosmos games at Giant Stadium in 1977 (year of my marriage). The stadium was filled to capacity to see the Brazilian forward, Pele, the stopper, Franz Beckenbauer, Gordon Bradley, Giorgio Chinaglia, Johan Neeskens, George Best playing for the Los Angeles Aztecs at the time when soccer was largely ignored.

These are the memories of the past but thanks to youth programs, soccer today is the most popular sport for boys and girls. One thing for sure…soccer is here to stay! However, I haven’t decided when to call it quits but I will follow the footsteps of Bobby, Frank & Dimos & the rest is history.



No comments: