Thursday, September 11, 2008

MATCH DAY REPORT: 9/7

Two things. Disclaimers if you will.

1) I did not stay for the duration of the match. I had to go coach my kid (she's working on trash-talking - mainly aimed at herself - and missing from six inches, but netting from two) before the bitter end.

2) I left it too long between the final whistle and sitting down to write this crap. As there were no memorable moments for myself personally (ie. no goals scored, one disallowed for offside which I have my doubts about, but I will agree with the referee's decision - even if the "ref" was also one of the opposing central defenders) the rest of the game was just a ho-hum blur of indifference.

Therefore, here's what I do remember:

Mark M scoring an own goal for the second week running. Even a woman walking past with her dog chipped in with abuse: "Hey! Miller! Head up next time, pretty boy!"

Perkinsio rightly called Keeble off of a what would have been a neck-stretcher of a header to bury one in the top corner. Fair play.

The White team didn't have a goal keeper until half-an-hour from the end. The Blue team had Doug. That ain't fair.

I was asked the score (4-2 was my reply) only to be told I was wrong and it was more like 3-3. Now, the only thing "more like" 3-3 than 4-2 would be actually 3-3. So put that up your pipe and get a job on ESPN, stat-guys.

There was an disproportionate number of people playing for the first time in ages, or first time at all. This bodes well for the winter months ahead, if they've got a pair to brave the cold and join the stupid idiots among us, out there on the glacier in mid-January.

Did I mention Mark's o.g.? Bottom corner. Bosh, pick that one out. No chance for the 'keeper.

FINAL SCORE: Hey, don't ask me.

Man-of-the-match: Mark M (White, but Blue) -Strong and clinical with his finish.

No comments: