Monday, May 23, 2011

Sunday May 22

Completely overcast, slight drizzle and a cool 60 degrees at 7:30 game time, perfect soccer weather. Today we recognize the sixtieth birthday of our buddy Frank. It's tough to make it a surprise when he shows up first. So we donned the ceremonial shirts and took to the field. One guest today, Jeff. Steve in the blue net, Jeff in for white till Doug arrived and took over. We had as many as 13 v 13 at one point and a pretty spirited game. Kevin left due to a problem with his breathing, one of those essential soccer skills we too often take for granted.

Scoring:
Keebs for blue 1-0
Tom for white 1-1
Frank for white 2-1, and this was a legitimate goal, not a birthday freebie
Joe Bagels for blue 2-2
Keebs again 3-2
Tom again 3-3
Keebs, for the hattie 4-3
Tom, for his hattie 4-4
Super Dave for white 4-5
Shamu for white 4-6 on an assist from Doug
Game ended at 9:30 due to player exhaustion and dwindling sides. Frank came over to the blue side to even things up.

After the game we had pictures, and then reconvened at Nellie's for the party. Frank got a white shirt, a blue shirt, an arm band, a signed soccer ball and a glass trophy.

Player of the Week


I was born on May 12, 1951, in a little town in southern Italy, called Grisolia. There started my passion for soccer. Back then in those days my friends and I were lucky to have a ball to play with, never mind having soccer cleats, sometimes we even played barefooted but we always played. In 1967 my parents, really my mother, decided it was time to move to America. Her sister, my “Zia Angelina” was already here living on Grove Street in Waldwick. I was 16 years old so while it was an exciting move it was also a little scary especially not knowing the language, but I managed. With my Uncle Frank’s guidance I ended up going to trade school, learning to be a hair stylist. I own Fifth Avenue Haircutters in Teaneck. Since 1982 I have been married to my wife, Lorraine, and have two girls, Gabriella and Evana. We originally bought a house in Waldwick and then moved to Upper Saddle River stayed there for about 18 years and now live in Warwick, NY. My youngest started playing soccer in Kindergarten and from there played for rec, for the schools, for the Americans and onto college. And throughout the years I was always on the side lines giving my daughter advice for which most of the time she completely ignored! While playing for the Americans a group of the fathers decided we would start playing at Lyons Park, from there we joined the Waldwick group and I've been enjoying it ever since playing with a great group of guys.



No comments: