Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Saturday February 26

Saturday we had another nice 7 v. 8 indoor matchup. Jimmy & Joey were on opposite teams so the scoring was a little more even. Thanks to Keith for setting it up. After the game I checked out the turf field. It's coming along, but still some persistent ice chunks at the south end and snow cover at the north. Sunday a handful of players showed up for some pre season activity, Frank, Dimos, C, Roccus and a couple more. The weather this week has been improving, and just as predicted by the Hock, March 6 should be our outdoor spring opener. I can't wait, hope to see you there.

I just wanted to review our league rules before play starts up again. I can think of four: No slide tackling; No arguments lasting more than 30 seconds; No more than 26 players on the field; and No shin guards, no mercy.


Player of the Week
Keith

This weeks player of the week is a stalwart of the WSS group. He's been there since the group's inception, he's at almost every game, policing the field, enforcing the rules, orchestrating the offsides trap. If his team needs defense, he's defending. If his team needs offense, he' offending. And of course he ran the winter indoor program this year. Player of the Week:


Flash back to 1970 with me. WAAAY back, man...let those psychs do their thing... I'm a new transfer to Waldwick High, jus' trying to fit in. Don't even think about signing up for football they say...even cross county is full...hmmm, what's this, a soccer signup sheet with a ton of empty spots? Me and a couple other nerds give it a go and I've been hooked ever since.
Back then, soccer was nowheresville as my older colleagues will testify to. It's been great watching the sport grow to where it is now, and knowing that I was on to something great 41 years ago and right all along.
I played 4 years at WHS and one season in the North Jersey Schaeffer league, which pitted us against powerhouses in Newark, Kearny, Clifton and the like. My next formal and long-overdue exposure to the beautiful game was as a soccer dad, coaching my daughter in the Midland Park Rec League. Unfortunately she took a liking to hoops...oh the pain...where did I go wrong??

So flash back now to 1994 or '95 with me. Bucky, who I've known for years, is taunting me to come play soccer down at Trap with him and a bunch of other soccer dads - one of whom is the WHS soccer coach! (the original Vince) I hesitate for almost a year because I'm afraid these guys will tear me apart...little did I know how welcome they'd make me feel right off the bat when I finally did lace up the boots and join in the fun.

I've seen so many guys come and go...thankfully only one wake - Klaus - in all this time. Bobby & Bucky have been there all along. We formed a team for the North Jersey over-30 league a for few years...did indoors down at Teaneck for a bunch of winters too...and got schooled up at Rockland CC for a couple of tourneys even (thanks Bobby H!). But the Sunday morning pick up looks like it'll be around for a long time thanks to a couple of dedicated members and the rest of all you guys & gal.

So when that crotchety left defender starts carping about something, cut him some slack...he's seen a lot and is maybe trying to hang on to some of the old ways, which he thinks have served us well.

Aw shit, just scream back at the old fart and tell him to shut the f up and play.
(1974 WHS Varsity team: I'm 7th from the right. Coach Laurenzo was indeed a bad ass and the best damn coach ever. Notice the thigh-high shorts that were so popular in the day! )





No comments: