Monday, November 29, 2010

Sunday Nov 28

I didn't go Friday, but the word is that 18 folks showed up to play in somewhat inclement weather and fun was had by all. I participated in the Northern Highlands Alumni game Friday afternoon. 45 or so former players came, I was the oldest by far, I was probably older than most of their parents. My old coach Johnny Pies showed up. I said "Hi Coach" and he said, "Oh my God, is that Johnny Gilchrist!" After 40 years! Made my day.

Sunday was a beautiful 30 degrees and sunny, quickly warming into the 40's. We started with full sides, Jake, Steve, and two other guests, Dennis and somebody else. Doug in the Blue goal, Dino in for the White. We had as many as 29 players with three guys sitting out at a time. Tom scored for White, Shamu for Blue, and it stayed pretty close for the rest of the first half. Then White stared to open it up. Mario, Super Mario, Jake, Carlos, Moe, Keebs, Bagel Joe and guest #2 made for a pretty fearsome white offense, and when the game started to get sloppy, the goals just poured in.

Final score, 5-9?

Keebs has suggested meeting at Nellie's for cocktails after the Dec 12 game. Why not?

I have additional thoughts on the substitution situation: Paying members should not have to sit if we have freebie guests. If you invite somebody, you should take turns sitting out with your guest. If there is some random guy who just shows up, he should sit untill invited back into the game. If you show up late and there is already 26 players on the field, or already subs waiting, you have to wait at least ten minutes before clamoring to go in. JMHO

Thanksgiving morning, after the big 5k, Mark & Mark enjoying bloody marys and oysters in my driveway. This was a worthwhile endeavor, and we encourage more WSS participation next year.



See you next sunday at 9.




No comments: